I figure anything that keeps making an appearance in my meals, should probably be given a place on the recipe page so you guys can figure out what on earth I keep stuffing my face with. So maybe I’m a little…uh…absent-minded…shall we say, with keeping the recipe page updated – here’s my attempt to get a move on it.
Pepita & Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto – adapted from Moosewood’s Cooking for Health
(or, if you’re like me and think Pepitas are Pepitos, feel free to call it Pepito Pesto. I won’t laugh.)
Makes a lot. As in, if you’re the only one eating it, you’ll be eating pesto-everything in attempts to finish it before it spoils.
(Okay, all joking aside – you should get about a cups worth of pesto)
- 1/4 c. Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 1/4 c. pepitas
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1.5 T. olive oil (this is not a lot of oil for a pesto – feel free to add more)
- 1/2 c. fresh basil
- 1/2 c. wilted (steamed) kale
- 1/4 c. chopped roma tomatoes
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 T. nutritional yeast
- black pepper, to taste
- In a small pan, cover the sun-dried tomatoes with water and simmer until softened. Should be around 5 minutes.
- Process everything in a food processor until you reach the desired consistency.
Enjoy on many paninis to come. Or, my new favorite – mixed with cottage cheese and spread on a toasted naan. Yum.