serves: 2-3 as a main, 4-6 as a side
Prepare the Barley:
- 1/2 c. natural pearled barley
- 1 1/2 c. water
Combine in medium saucepan, and allow barley to simmer for at least an hour. You may need to add more water. Season with salt, to taste.
While the barley is cooking, combine:
- 2 T. plain greek yogurt
- 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- 2 T. sundried-tomato & pepita pesto
- 1 T. nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper, to taste
- splash almond milk (optional – I used a drizzle just to thin)
- 1/2 of one carrot
- 1/4 c. chopped red pepper
- 1/2 of one zucchini, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- drizzle olive oil
- 1 can tuna
- 1/4 c. shredded almond mozzarella
Putting it all together:
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil and garlic. Add to it the veggies, a splash of water, and cover until kale is wilted.
- Add to this the tuna and combine, followed by the cooked barley.
- Once mixed thoroughly, stir in the pesto sauce and then the almond mozzarella until all is combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.